ADAIR COUNTY, IOWA


LEWIS LAWSON
was the last known Union Veteran of the American Civil War as a resident of
Adair County, Iowa.

He is buried in North Oak Grove Cemetery located in Stuart, Guthrie Co., IA.

GPS location of the grave is:
41.51479 N Latitude and 94.31310 W Longitude


Mr. Lawson was born in Sweden on February 7, 1847 and passed away at home in Harrison Township of Adair County, just south-west of Stuart on April 1, 1940. He served with Company G of the 137th Illinois Infantry during the war. His discharge was signed by Abraham Lincoln. The Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic appointed him as aide-de-camp in 1936. He was a member of Maxwell Post #14 in Stuart.

No photo of him is available.
Obituary from "The Stuart Herald", April 4, 1940.
Obituary from "Adair County Free Press", April 4, 1940.
Photo of his grave.
Grand Army of the Republic record.
Return to Table

Ron Rittel, PDC
Department of Iowa
S.U.V.C.W.

© 2014